The loss of a tooth can compromise your ability to bite and chew as normal, or to smile with self-confidence. Fortunately, the right treatment can restore your smile, giving you a second chance at robust oral health. Dental implants are widely considered to be the gold standard for tooth replacement. Keystone OMS proudly offers dental implant placement for patients in and around the Warren, OH community.
Dental Implants, Explained
A dental implant is a titanium rod, inserted into the jawbone where it fuses in place with the surrounding bone. The implant can then function as an artificial tooth root, providing a stable anchor point for a connective piece called the abutment, and finally for a porcelain replacement tooth.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the gold standard for long-lasting, natural-looking tooth replacement. And they offer many benefits that set them apart from traditional dentures and traditional bridges. Some of these benefits include:
- Because they fuse with your jawbone (through a process called osseointegration), dental implants become a permanent part of your smile.
- By functioning as artificial tooth roots, implants ensure a stable and secure smile, allowing you to enjoy your favorite foods like normal.
- When you use dental implants to replace individual teeth, you can maintain them through normal brushing and flossing and by having routine dental checkups.
- Implants are the only tooth replacement method that provides ongoing jawbone stimulation, helping you prevent the atrophy of your bone.
- Dental implants typically last longer than any other tooth replacement method. While you will eventually need the porcelain restorations replaced, the implants can potentially last your lifetime with proper care.
- Implants can be placed without doing any damage to your healthy, adjacent teeth, thus preserving your natural oral health.
What Getting Dental Implants Is Like
All patients have unique experiences, but for most, the dental implant placement process follows this basic trajectory:
Dr. Clemenza will evaluate your teeth and gums, ask about your personal medical history, and confirm that you are healthy enough to have surgery.
Some patients may require preparatory surgeries to get their mouth ready for dental implant placement. Common examples include bone regeneration and extraction of unhealthy teeth.
On the day of your dental implant placement, Dr. Clemenza will place you under sedation, ensuring your comfort and safety. Be sure you have somebody with you to give you a ride home.
It takes several weeks for your implants to fuse with the surrounding bone. During this recovery period, it will be crucial to follow the doctor’s aftercare instructions, including dietary guidelines.
Dr. Clemenza will complete the restoration process by adding the abutment and the porcelain replacement tooth, custom-made to look and behave just like your natural teeth.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
If you live in Warren, the best way to assess your candidacy for dental implants is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Clemenza. As a general rule, the best candidates for dental implant placement are in good health overall, with no underlying conditions that would place them at high risk during surgery. Additionally, they do not have untreated gum disease, and they are able to commit to regular brushing and flossing.
Finally, to be a candidate for dental implant placement, it is vital to either have adequate bone density in the jaw or be willing to receive a bone graft.
Find Out More About Dental Implants Near Warren, OH
If you have lost one or more teeth, you may qualify for dental implant placement. At Keystone OMS, we are pleased to provide comprehensive implant care for patients near Warren. Find out more about dental implants by calling (724) 981-8884 or contacting us online today.