When you lose a tooth, it adversely affects your ability to smile with any confidence, or to bite and chew as normal. Dental implants provide a second chance at robust oral health, offering long-lasting and natural-looking tooth replacement. At Keystone OMS, we are pleased to offer dental implants to patients from Zelienople, PA.
Dental Implants Explained
Dental implants provide full, root-to-crown tooth replacement. Here is how they work:
- The implant itself is a small titanium rod, inserted into the jawbone where it can function as a replacement tooth root. The implant integrates with the surrounding bone, providing security and stability.
- Once this healing process is completed, your oral surgeon will place a connective piece, known as an abutment.
- With the addition of a porcelain replacement tooth, your dental restoration is complete. These replacement teeth are made to look and behave just like your natural teeth.
Why Get Dental Implants?
Dental implants have been broadly accepted as the gold standard for tooth replacement. There are several reasons why.
- Because they fuse with your jawbone, implants become a permanent part of your smile. Assuming the right upkeep, you can maintain your implants for a very long time.
- Dental implants are the longest-lasting form of tooth replacement. While the porcelain replacement teeth will eventually require replacement, the implants themselves are made to be durable.
- Dental implants replace your tooth roots, which allows you to have a strong and secure bite, without risk of your teeth slipping out of place.
- When you use implants to replace individual teeth, you can brush and floss them just like you would your natural teeth.
- By replacing your tooth roots, implants offer ongoing jawbone stimulation, allowing you to avoid unwanted bone loss or changes to your facial appearance.
- Dental implants preserve your natural smile, without requiring healthy and viable teeth to be extracted.
What Getting Dental Implants Is Like
The dental implant process follows the same basic trajectory for each patient:
The treatment journey begins when you meet with Dr. Clemenza for a consultation. The doctor will evaluate your health and ensure you are a good candidate for safe, successful surgery.
In some cases, it may be necessary to have additional procedures to prepare your mouth for implant placement. Examples can include bone grafting and the extraction of non-viable teeth.
On the day of your procedure, Dr. Clemenza will administer local anesthesia or sedation, allowing you to be safe and comfortable. If you opt for sedation, it is crucial that you bring someone who can drive you home from surgery.
You will need to spend several weeks recovering, allowing your implants to fuse with the surrounding bone. While you can still go to work and do all your normal activities, there may be some dietary restrictions for you to follow.
Once your implants have healed, you will return to Keystone OMS for Dr. Clemenza to complete your dental restoration, placing the abutment and the replacement tooth.
Candidacy for Dental Implants
The best way to determine your eligibility for dental implants is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Clemenza. With that said, the ideal candidates:
- Are in good health overall, without underlying complications that could lead to heightened surgical risk.
- Have good oral health, without any untreated periodontal disease.
- Have sufficient jawbone or are willing to have bone regeneration via a graft.
- Are able to commit to regular brushing and flossing, and routine dental checkups.
Discover Dental Implant Options in Zelienople
Tooth loss can happen for any number of reasons, but thankfully, it never has to be permanent. Dental implants provide a second chance at robust oral health and a bright, confident smile. Explore dental implant options near Zelienople by contacting Keystone OMS. Use our online form or call (724) 981-8884 today!